Wednesday, August 22, 2012

K. N. O.

     Today was our last day at the Village :( We are so sad to be leaving but we definitely went out with a bang! First we volunteered in the castle again and were busy busy. We had two families come in to give their stars to Stella to be put in the sky. Multiple families came to get their pillows made from the tree and the owl, one family came in to see their star up on the ceiling in the star tower. Then we also had a family who was visiting for the day because they had stayed at the village 4 years ago and wanted to find their star on the ceiling. Below are more pictures of the outside of the castle.



 
     After the castle we helped out at their K. N. O. event which is "Kids Night Out." For this event each volunteer was partnered up with a child who was dropped off for a night out. I was partnered with an energetic 6 year old, who I absolutely loved! For the sake of the blog and confidentiality I'll name him Jake (although that isn't his real name). We started out in Amberville, where Jake and I played in the train room and outside on the porch which had little cars, boats, and helicopters to ride on. The kind that normally sit outside of stores and you pay like a quarter to ride. Jake and I had fun here, he would act all crazy on the little rides outside on the porch and I would pretend like I was so worried about him and that my heart was beating so fast with worry. He thought this was hysterical. After Amberville  everybody went over to the Gingerbread House for dinner where Mayor Clayton and his wife visited us. During dinner Jake and I had a blast sitting together, goofing off, talking about different things like what he had done that week and checking out the cool decorations in the Gingerbread House. I really loved this time with Jake, I can't even tell you what exactly we said or did at dinner but we had so much fun just hanging out together, joking around, and talking about the fact that Mayor Clayton is a bunny and that is why he doesn't talk. Jake informed me that he is not a real bunny because he is too big and this lead to a debate about whether Mayor Clayton was special because he was so big or if other bunnies are special because they are so small. After dinner we went  to Julie's Theater for the "Village Idol," which is the village's version of American Idol. Jake and I both enjoyed cheering on the other children and watching the different, acts, dances, and singing. I enjoyed this event so much and loved getting some one on one time with a child. It was such an amazing way to end my week of volunteering.

     Tomorrow I fly out and I am so sad my week at the Village is over but am so honored to have had this opportunity. I am in complete amazement of how incredibly amazing this opportunity is for the kids and their families. These families go through so much in their life, not only emotional stressors but financial ones as well. To be given this week where all of that can disappear is relief that I could not even imagine for these families. I did not see one single family who was upset, not having a good time, or not getting along this entire week. It seems as though the second they enter the village it is time for their family to be together and simply take in and enjoy this one week they have together.

Thank you to each and everyone of you who helped make this week possible and contributed to a donation of $850 dollars to this extraordinary organization!!!!!!!!!!!

Love, 
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment